CHCI Alumni Celebrate 2011 Hispanic Heritage Month
Thanks to the generous support of Southwest Airlines, State Farm, Union Pacific, Ibarra Strategy Group, Enitial Advanced Communications, Green for All, Corona, and the Walt Disney Company, the CHCI Alumni Association had a strong and visible presence during CHCI’s 2011 Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM) celebration. We are especially proud of the level of support, engagement and participation of alumni throughout the week’s events!
During CHCI’s Hispanic Heritage Month Events, the Alumni Association spearheaded several initiatives to promote the visibility of our members, to support their professional development and provide avenues for networking, and to build a culture of philanthropy.
On Monday, September 12, Mr. Raul Magdaleno, 2005 Congressional Intern, served as Keynote Speaker for CHCI’s Ready to Lead (R2L) D.C. program. Ms. Miryam Granthon-Gerdine, Ms. Adriana Lopez, and members of the Association’s Executive Board also participated in the R2L D.C. Mentoring Power Hour.
The Association also hosted “New Generation: What’s Your Brand?” a professional development workshop, which included Ms. Maria Hinojosa, Futuro Media Group, Mr. Victor Arias, Korn/Ferry International, Ms. Jennice Fuentes, Office of Rep. Luis V. Gutiérrez, Mr. Ken Kuwamura, Union Pacific, Mr. Raul Magdaleno, Southern Methodist University.
As part of our efforts to build a culture of philanthropy and to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Public Policy Fellowship Program, the association launched its “$30 for 30” campaign at the 8th Annual Young Latino Professional Fundraiser. Through that effort, CHCI Alumni individually raised more than $2,600. To help us reach our end of the year goal of $5, 000, please go to https://www.chci.org/donate/donate.asp and donate today! Be sure to indicate that you are a CHCI Alumnus when completing the online donation form.
The association increased alumni engagement and participation through its CHCI-AA Annual Business Meeting. Over 65 alumni and program participants gathered to provide substantive discussion and feedback to the board. Click pdf's below to review the agenda, minutes, and power point of that meeting.
CHCI also helped promote and advance the visibility of Alumni during HHM:
- Mr. Orson Aguilar, 1997-98 Fellow, recipient of the CHCI 2011 Distinguished Alumnus Award during the Public Policy Conference Education Luncheon.
- Mr. Roberto Velasco, 1988 Intern and Chief Operating Officer for the Corporation for National & Community Service, gave remarks at the Public Policy Conference Closing Luncheon.
- Mr. Raul Magdaleno, 2005 Congressional Intern, served as Keynote Speaker for the Ready to Lead (R2L) D.C. program and panelist on the “What’s Your Brand?” professional development session.
- Mr. Omar Torres, 2002-3004 Fellow, led a R2L-DC leadership workshop for high school students
- Mr. Javier Angulo, 2000-2001 Fellow, gave sponsor remarks on behalf of Walmart at the CHCI Annual Awards Gala
- CHCI-AA President participated in the “Inside the Leader Studio” taping as part of CHCI-National Association of Broadcasters HHM partnership to promote Latino leadership.
The Executive Board is excited by the level of support and commitment demonstrated during the HHM. We are looking forward to continue to work with you to build the strongest alumni network in the country! Don’t forget to join us again next year to celebrate CHCI’s 35th anniversary on September 23-26, 2012.
The CHCI-Alumni Association thanks all its partners for making its 2011 HHM events possible:
Official Airline of the CHCI Alumni Association
New Generation: What’s Your Brand?
8th Annual Young Latino Professional Fundraiser
Ibarra Strategy Group
Enitial Advanced Communications
Green for All
2011 Annual CHCI-Alumni Association Business Meeting