High School Latino Leaders in D.C.
Applications for Dallas, Merced/Fresno, Phoenix, and San Jose, CA are due May 6, 2013 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
Applications for Camden, NJ are due May 13, 2013 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
Apply online at apply.chci.org
Applications for Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Antonio, and Washington, DC are closed.
Each year, CHCI brings students in 9th, 10th, and 11th grade to participate in the HSLLDC program, a week-long leadership training in Washington, DC. During the program students gain a deeper understanding of the importance of their role as engaged citizens, meet with key leaders, participate in study visits at historic sites and develop a deeper understanding of how they can affect positive change in their communities and their nation. To learn more about the daily activities, click here.
This program is made possible at no cost to participants with the support of founding sponsor State Farm Insurance, as well as Southwest Airlines, the Official Airline Sponsor of the 2013 Leadership Development Programs. The program is held in partnership with the Close Up Foundation.
- What is the High School Latino Leaders in D.C. Program?
- When is it?
- Who is eligible?
- What if I don't live or attend high school in one of the Ready to Lead regions?
- How much does it cost?
- Will there be chaperones?
- What will I need for my application?
- When is the application deadline?
- What is the agenda?
- Who should I contact if I have more questions?
CHCI will bring high school students across the nation to Washington, D.C. to spend five days learning about how the Federal Government works, meeting important leaders, visiting historic sites and developing a deeper understanding of how they can affect positive change in their communities and their nation.
The program will take place during in Washington, D.C. July 14-19, 2013.
Students who wish to apply must:
- Be a current 9th, 10th, or 11th grade student;
- Demonstrate interest in learning more about civic engagement;
- Must reside in one of the following geographic regions identified for eligibility. Click the city to find out that region's specific requirements:
Many of these locations are affiliated with a Ready to Lead event. While attending a Ready to Lead event is not required in order to apply, attendance at Ready to lead will be considered during the selection process. For more information about the Ready to lead program, click here.
Unfortunately, students who do not reside or attend high school in a pre-identified region are not eligible to apply for the HSLLDC program. Since the HSLLDC program is made possible at no cost to our student participants, applicants are only sought from regions where CHCI has dedicated financial support. This is the third year CHCI is hosting the High School Latino Leaders in D.C. Program. We hope to be able to continue to grow this program in the future and eventually open it up to more students.
If you are a student who is not eligible, but you are interested in participating in the future, please like us on Facebook, where we post updates about programs and opportunities across the country. Not on Facebook? Send us an email at ProgramsR2L@chci.org with your name, high school, city and state. We'll keep you posted about new opportunities as we grow!
If you are an adult, we’d love to bring high school students from your community to D.C., but we need your help to fund this important program. If you are interested in having individuals from your community participate in this program, please contact Lori Crowe at email@example.com. We are willing to work collaboratively to identify partners, businesses, or foundations in your local community that may be interested in sponsoring future Latino leaders.
There is no cost to student participants. Travel, lodging, meals and activities will all be covered through the support of our generous sponsors and CHCI.
CHCI and Close Up staff will supervise students at all times upon their arrival in Washington, D.C. However, chaperones for travel are not provided. Students will not be supervised by any CHCI or Close Up Foundation staff beyond the airport security gate in Washington, D.C. or at any time in their home city.
Schools, districts, or programs are welcome to send a chaperone to participate in the program at their own expense. Contact CHCI for pricing information.
The application is available online at apply.chci.org. Please complete your application from your designated region.
Applicants will be required to complete the following:
- Your personal information (contact information, demographic information, educational information, emergency contact information)
- Three short essays (see the tips page for details on the essay questions)
- A copy of your transcript
- Contact information for your recommender
- A resume
Visit our Tips for Applying to the HSLLDC Program for more helpful hints and to preview the essay questions!
Application deadlines are different for each city.
- Applications for New York, San Antonio, and Washington, DC are due April 22, 2013 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
- Applications for Dallas, Merced/Fresno, Phoenix, and San Jose, CA are due May 6 2013 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
- Applications for Camden, NJ are due May 13, 2013 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
- Applications for Chicago and Los Angeles are closed.
You must complete your application online at apply.chci.org.
We are happy to answer your questions. Please contact Evelyn Garcia Morales, Manager of Educational Enrichment Programs, at Egarciamorales@chci.org and she will get back to you soon.