CHCI-Telemundo NEWS Intern Job Description
CHCI-Telemundo NEWS Intern Job Description
Summary of responsibilities: The News Intern will act as the focal point of the newsroom on a daily basis, monitoring breaking news and developments and assigns crews to cover daily news.
The intern will work up to 40 hours per week. The News department is hiring up to three summer interns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinating and scheduling reporters, photographers and other personnel to cover stories.
- Monitors all police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources, determines if a story is news worthy.
- Story and Series planning, with close coordination of Assignments Manager, Executive Producer, News Director and other members of newsroom management.
- Answer newsroom phones, researching stories, and keeping track of daily activities of a busy newsroom.
- Setting up and coordinating live remotes inside and outside the building.
- Working with reporters, producers and news sources to gather information and develop sources.
- Coordinate with other departments to complete stories and projects.
- Create and coordinate short-range planning to meet department editorial goals.
Education and/or Experience: Majors should include all Journalism, Mass Communication, and Broadcasting disciplines. Student must be willing and able to commute to Hialeah, FL, without relocation assistance. Student must be actively enrolled in a college or university. Students that have already graduated are not eligible for this position.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree
- Organization and aggressive research skills
- Able to work contacts and react quickly and aggressively to breaking news as well as developing stories.
- Be a self-starter, with good telephone skills, excellent organizational skills, and strong news judgment.
- Must work well under pressure.
- Knowledge of the market preferred.
- About us:
Telemundo Network Group LLC is a U.S. Spanish-language television network committed to broadcast unique and outstanding national and local entertainment, news and sports programming to the fast-growing U.S. Hispanic audience. Telemundo targets this growing and vibrant audience by delivering the best in Latino entertainment. The network's schedule features a wide range of original programming, including novelas, talk shows, original sitcoms, sports and news, children's programming, blockbuster movies, reality, entertainment and music programs. Telemundo Communications Group, Inc. is an operating subsidiary of NBCUniversal, the nation's leading broadcast network and film. NBCUniversal is an equal opportunity employer.
NBC Universal is one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies. We develop, produce and market entertainment, news and information to a global market. NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, is a plus
- Must be willing to work in Hialeah/Doral/Coral Gables, Florida
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be fluent in Spanish and English (speak, read & write)
Eligibility Requirements (in addition to the CHCI Scholarship eligibility requirements):
- Must be able to work the duration of Program (10 weeks) - June 15th - August 21
- Project-based internship program
- Minimum 3.0 average
- Sophomore standing or higher (30 credits)
- Must be authorized to work in the US in a paid position
- Attending an Accredited Institution and working towards earning a bachelor's degree
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Telemundo Media, a division of NBCUniversal, is a world-class media company, leading the industry in the production and distribution of high-quality Spanish-language content across its multiplatform portfolio to U.S. Hispanics and audiences around the world. Telemundo’s multiple platforms include the Telemundo Network, a Spanish-language television network featuring original productions, theatrical motion pictures, news and first-class sports events, reaching U.S. Hispanic viewers in 210 markets through its 15 owned stations, broadcast and MVPD affiliates; mun2, the preeminent voice for young Hispanics in the U.S. reaching TV households nationwide on digital and analog cable, and satellite; Telemundo Digital Media, which distributes Telemundo’s original content across digital and emerging platforms including mobile devices, www.telemundo.com and www.mun2.tv; an owned and operated full power station in Puerto Rico that reaches 99% of all TV households in that DMA; and Telemundo Internacional, the international distribution arm which has positioned Telemundo as the second largest provider of Spanish-language content worldwide by syndicating content to more than 100 countries in over 35 languages.
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a suite of leading Internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is owned by Comcast Corporation.
mun2 is the destination for young, Hispanic adults 18-34 and 18-49, providing authentic, vibrant Latino content for the fastest growing population group in the U.S. As the fastest growing Hispanic entertainment cable network, mun2 combines the best in reality, scripted, music and sports programming to reflect the diverse lifestyle and language of its audience. The networks’ content can be found across multiple platforms, including its award winning mun2.tv site. With offices in Los Angeles, Miami and New York, the network is part of Telemundo Media, a division of NBCUniversal.