CHCI Graduate Fellowship Program
2016-2017 Graduate Fellowship Program Application Deadline: February 5, 2016
Have a question? View our Frequently Asked Questions here!
Support CHCI's Graduate Fellowship Program and open the doors of opportunity to aspiring Latinos. Click here Graduate Fellowship Program sponsorship options or donate online.
Graduate Fellowship Program Mission
The CHCI Graduate Fellowship Program seeks to enhance participants' leadership abilities, strengthen professional skills and produce more competent and competitive Latino professionals.
Graduate Fellowship Program Description
The nine month paid Fellowship Program offers exceptional Latinos who have earned at least a master's degree within three years of the program start date with unparalleled exposure to hands-on experience in the public policy areas:
- Higher Education
- Secondary Education
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
Selected participants will receive:
- Work Experience in Washington, D.C.
- Great Pay
- Fellows will receive a payment of $2,900 minus required deductions including federal taxes, social security, and medicare upon arrival.
- The remaining 8 months have been spread out throughout the 20 remaining pay periods between August 19, 2016 and May 12, 2017. The bi-weekly pay will be $1160.00 minus required deductions including federal and state taxes, social security, and medicare.
-Domestic round-trip transportation to Washington, D.C.
- Health Insurance Coverage (updated January, 2013): As a result of the Health Care Reform Act, individuals are now able to remain under their parent’s health insurance policies until they are 25 years old. However, for those that are older than 25 or who wish to receive health insurance coverage under CHCI’s health policy, CHCI will offer similar health insurance benefits that are available to permanent CHCI employees and be required to pay a monthly premium during the course of the fellowship. The insurance is available to the Fellow only and not dependents of the Fellow.
-Optional short-term housing. CHCI secures and individuals reimburse CHCI for this service
- Leadership Training, Networking and More
After a week-long orientation, and with CHCI's guidance, Graduate fellows research opportunities to work in a Congressional office or committee that best matches their interest and focus area. Participants will have the option of changing placements mid-way through the program. Second half placements can include The White House, federal agencies and nonprofit organizations.
The Graduate fellows' intensive work experience is enhanced by weekly leadership training sessions that allow them to meet with national leaders and engage in substantive policy discussions. In addition, Graduate fellows produce a public policy brief. Graduate fellows also must organize a policy summit. Because of the wealth of information, contacts, and political activity in Washington D.C., the Graduate Fellowship Program offers an excellent opportunity for participants to affirm their career goals. All participants also receive personal support and guidance from CHCI staff and Alumni Association.
Fellows are required to engage in a group community service project identified through the CHCI fellowship program. This component of the curriculum allows fellows to identify areas of civic engagement and give back to the community. Fellows are also required to complete individual community service along with the group community service project.
Program Requirements - Fellows must
- Work a minimum of 32 hours per week at a placement
- Attend a one-week orientation and weekly leadership development sessions and participate in a retreat
- Participate in all CHCI-sponsored activities
- Participate in a community service project
- Complete 20 hours of community service
- Develop and execute a Policy Summit to promote public policy issues of importance to Latinos
- Research and publication of a written work about a public policy issue in chosen area
- Contribute to the development of the CHCI Public Policy Conference Summits
- Comply with CHCI policies regarding work performance and personal conduct
- Applicants must have completed a master's degree or post-graduate degree prior to the program start date
- High academic achievement (3.0 GPA or higher)
- Evidence of leadership skills and potential for leadership growth
- Demonstrates commitment to public service-oriented activities
- Superior analytical skills, outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, asylees, or individuals who are lawfully authorized to work full-time without restriction for any U.S. employer and who, at the time of application, possess lawful evidence of employment authorization.
- NOTE: Individuals who are seeking consideration under the “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival” (DACA) policy must possess an Employment Authorization Document at the time of application
- NOTE: All individuals are welcome to apply. However, preference will be given to individuals with financial need.
- NOTE: Family members of members of the CHCI Board of Directors or Advisory Council are prohibited from participating in any of CHCI's charitable programs. "Family members" include the following individuals whether the relationship is biological or adoptive: Immediate Family - to include a spouse, domestic partner, ex-spouse, parent, step-parent, sibling, half-sibling, step-sibling, child, step-child, grandparent, grandchild; Extended family - to include a niece, nephew, uncle, aunt, first cousin. Applications by such family members will not be considered.
The selection process is competitive. Annually, CHCI receives about twenty applications for every one available fellowship. Applications are reviewed by a selection committee composed of program alumni, members of the CHCI Board of Directors and Advisory Council, and CHCI staff. Only top candidates receive an invitation to interview for a select number of fellowship opportunities, based on the quality of their application and demonstrated interest in public policy.